Home care products for our natural nails have never been so important. For many people using nail polish itself and even any form of care products for their nails is a foreign concept. It has however been weeks since your last visit to a nail salon and a miracle if your artificial nails are still on. If so, they are at the point of being very top heavy and an accident waiting to happen. I believe that we should never have artificial nails applied at the expense of the natural nail but that it should enhance your natural nail and protect it.
Yes, this has a lot to do with the application from your nail technician and the product that she uses, however you have an important part to play as well. Although the lockdown has forced us to focus on home care products it should be part of our daily routine regardless. We need to ensure that our new natural nail that is being formed in our matrix area is of the best possible quality by using vitamin infused products to nourish and feed this area where the nail is being formed. With technology evolving all the time there are products that have active ingredients in that it will improve the structure of the new nail growing out and can even affect the quality of your existing nail that has already been formed.
The secret is regular application and you can visibly see the improvement day by day. Another very import fact to take into consideration is that the natural nail has been protected by a product and is now suddenly exposed to the elements when losing its protective layer. So, when the product is removed from the natural nail it takes a few days of exposure to the elements for this protective layer to return. Bottomline is that the natural nail will need lots of attention at first to restore itself and with the help of home care products and lots of patience this is possible.
We live in a time of instant solutions and instantly stunning nails and every day is one step closer to the new normal and your regular visit to your nail salon however we will need to take time and be patient with our natural nails till that day comes. Here are some helpful tips:
Your nails no longer have any product on and are breaking:
- Using quality products will give best results – even if they cost a bit more.
- Protecting your nails is very important at this point – your options are:
- Keep nails short with several layers of nail polish and nail sealer on to strengthen and protect them.
- Using a strip of fibreglass with nail glue on the free edge of the nail to help strengthen them especially if you have horizontal cracks in them.
- Unfortunately keeping your nails shorter at this point will be helpful.
You still have product on, but they have grown out excessively:
- Having the correct file is very important and remember not to cut the nails as the product will crack and damage your natural nails. They must be filed.
- Shorten your nails a lot and file the product down so that it is level to your natural nail without having a ridge but leave a thin layer on your nail for strength. Be careful not to over file your natural nail.
- Seal the product to the nail with a nail glue to help stabilize it.
- Then use a sealing in polish over the whole nail before adding nail polish
Tips to help you apply your nail polish and have it last longer:
- Always use a base coat – (e.g.) LCN ultimate base coat forms a ‘velcro’ like layer to secure the polish to it and have it last longer.
- Always seal the front in by capping the polish along the free edge of the nail.
- Apply the nail polish in thin layers and paint with light even strokes – seal in the free edge – two layers is advisable.
- Use a good topcoat that will give the nails a gel like finish while assisting the polish to dry faster.
The most challenging part is then not to do anything that will cause it to smudge, be careful for at least 30-60 minutes to give the deep layers of your polish time to dry completely.
Like with anything new it will take a few tries to perfect the application. At the end of the day you will need to put time aside daily for home care which takes a few seconds at a time and the weekly or perhaps biweekly in the beginning to paint your nails in order not to smudge your nail polish. I promise that the effort will be worth it.
I sincerely hope that these tips will help you through the rest of the lockdown and I know your nail technicians cannot wait to get back to work and give you those stunning nails you have become accustomed to.
Looking Good LCN was founded in 2002 by CEO Lea Castro, after starting small it was clear that success was inevitable. Today we operate from our premises in Pretoria East with office facilities, a state of the art training centre for our Beauty School, a warehouse and the luxurious LCN Aesthetic Beauty Spa for training purposes. Our main focus is service excellence in the Beauty Industry and empowering women to become the best they can be! Having overcome many obstacles – the company continues to grow from strength to strength.