Reverse any party season skin damage with these top tips and must-have skincare products.
Three weeks into December and we’ve already eaten our body weight in mince pies, spent far too much time in the sun, drank a few too many G & Ts… and it’s all starting to show, in the form of pesky pimples!
There’s not doubt that the festive season can wreak havoc on your skin, as late nights, heavy meals, and the hot, summer sun can result in oily skin, a nasty breakout, and even a few sun spots for good measure.
We’ve been testing out a bunch of beauty products that promise to stop breakouts dead in their tracks… here are our favourites!
1. Dermalogica Blackhead Clearing Fizz Mask
If you struggle with blackheads and congestion, you’ll absolutely love this unique mask. The active fizzing formula is designed to open your pores, decongest your skin, and target blackheads in just 3 – 5 minutes. It contains sulfur to keep your skin clear, while kaolin clay absorbs excess sebum and purifies your skin.
It activates upon contact with your skin and gently fizzes away, clearing out your pores for a brighter, more refined complexion. Use 2 – 3 times per week for best results.
2. SkinCeuticals Retexturing Activator
Battling with a dull, lacklustre complexion that feels bumpy to the touch? Add SkinCeuticals Retexturing Activator to your daily routine (apply it both morning and night after cleansing, but before applying your moisturiser). It contains Glycolic Acid, which is great for treating breakouts and exfoliating your skin – without causing any irritation. The result? Softer, smoother skin with fewer spots! It also contains Hyaluronic Acid, a natural humectant that helps the skin retain water – perfect during the hot, summer months!
3. OptiPhi Classic Clarity Serum
This soothing spot treatment is fantastic for reducing the appearance of existing breakouts (and helping them to clear up faster), while preventing the onset of new breakouts. It helps to calm irritated and inflammed skin, while balancing sebum levels at the same time. Best applied to affected areas, but it’s also gentle enough to use all over you face.
Don’t forget that your hormones and digestion are linked, so your skin is often a mirror of your gut. Try loading up on the following vitamins during the festive season to ensure that your skin is clear and glowing all summer long:
– Zinc: not only does this antioxidant help to fight free radicals (ie. helps prevent damage caused by UV rays and pollution), it also regulates oil production in the skin. Find it in seafood, lean meats, legumes, nuts (think cashew nuts and almond), seeds, eggs, and dairy.
– Potassium: this helps to keep your cells hydrated, so your skin is moisturised from the inside (remember: lack of moisture causes your skin to produce excess sebum, resulting in breakouts. The key is to keep hydrated and ensure that your skin is moisturised at all times). Find it in bananas, oranges, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cooked broccoli, cooked spinach, mushrooms, and more.
– Magnesium: this is an anti-inflammatory that will help to soothe irritated skin, while preventing inflammation and spot flare-ups. Find it in leafy green veggies, avocados bananas, raspberries, legumes (black beans, chickpeas, etc), seeds and nuts, broccoli, green beans, and seafood.
Do you have any product suggestions that you swear by to keep breakouts at bay? We’d love to hear all about them – leave a comment and share your knowledge with other Beauty Warriors!