Why this should be a regular part of your spa routine
Getting regular facials will not only help delay the signs of aging, but also the need for more invasive aesthetic treatments. Taking care of your skin and having a proper daily skincare routine goes a long way, but this is only half of what your skin needs to stay healthy and young.
Facials are a large component of maintaining a healthy skin. Here are the reasons why:
You’re Getting Treated by a Skin Care Professional
A professional skincare therapist performing the treatment understands the skin and how it functions. They have been trained to analyse your skin and understand what’s going on below the surface – not just what’s apparent to the eye.
Another advantage in receiving a facial from a skincare therapist is customization. After performing a thorough skin analysis, they will customize a proper at-home routine for you and eliminate a guessing game of finding the right products. They will also listen to your personal concerns and use this combined information and expertise to recommend the right regimen.
The Professional Treatment Difference:
- Cleansing – Cleansing will be at a deeper level than at home. We encourage you to give your skin a deep cleanse at home, in between treatments, but you will not be able to get to the same depth as an aesthetician who has steamers, brushes, and other electric equipment to aid this process.
- Exfoliation – Exfoliation should be done 2-3 times a week at home with a gentle exfoliator. As we age, however, skin cell turn over slows down, increasing the need for professional help. Your skin may be in need of a mild exfoliation or more intense exfoliation – this is determined by the skincare therapist who has the expertise to evaluate your skin and makes a decision based on your skin type.
- Massage – Not only is massage relaxing and an instant form of stress relief, but this actually has anti-aging benefits. Facial massage movements help with skin firming. Massage also helps oxygenate the skin and increase circulation – a healthy blood flow helps prevent dark circles and eliminates a dull, dehydrated look.
- Extractions – When you squeeze a spot a you will experience pain, bleeding, and often the pimple comes back the next day. A skincare professional is able to look at your skin under a magnified lens and perform extractions in a sanitary environment, eliminating the risk of infections. If pimples or blackheads have been a long battle for you, having a series of treatments from a professional is going to help achieve a healthier skin.
- Professional Tools – One of the tools a skincare therapist has to help with extractions is desincrustation. This can be a product alone, or used in conjunction with a machine. It helps to break down the oil that has hardened in your pores, so when an aesthetician does perform extractions, they are less painful and built up dead skin cells and oil is completely removed. Galvanic is another tool used by professionals that helps infuse products and ingredients deeper into the skin – this allows for a more in-depth hydration.
The article has been reproduced with the permission of the South African Spa Association